Facts at a Glance

Name: Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute

Formerly:

The National Technical School 1949 - 1961
Nassau Technical Institute 1961 - 1965
Nassau Technical College 1966 - 1968
Nassau Technical College & Centre 1968 - 1971
C.R. Walker Technical College 1974 - 1980 and
Industrial Training Centre 1980 - 1995

School Population: Nassau Campus – 1,500 (full-time and part-time programmes) / Freeport Campus- 400 (part-time programmes)

Student to Faculty Ratio: 18:1

Programmes: 6 Associate of Applied Science degrees, 4 diplomas and a variety of certificates in special interest courses

Affiliated: The Ministry of Education

Articulation Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding:

• Vancouver Island University, Vancouver Island, Canada
• Lakeland College, Alberta, Canada
• Holland College, Prince Edward Island, Canada
• New England Institute of Technology, Rhode Island , USA
• Fanshawe College, Ontario, Canada
• Lincoln College of Technology, West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Funding Source: Publicly funded institution

Mission: To provide learning opportunities that enable individuals to be globally competitive and economically independent.

Vision: BTVI will be known for its innovativeness, quality customer care and high standards in preparing adults throughout the archipelago for the world of work.

The first technical school in The Bahamas was opened by Lord Liston on October 4th, 1949. It was located in Oakes Field and known as The National Technical School. Over the years, the name of the institute changed numerous times.

The Institute began in 1980 under the name Industrial Training Centre (ITC). During this time the intuition turned out a population of over 7,000 persons who had been trained at the centre. The centre at the time offered short courses and persons attending received a stipend from the government. The Industrial Training Centre began with 225 students in shared facilities at The College of The Bahamas’ Solider Road campus and at the C.C. Sweeting Senior High School campus. The courses offered at both campuses were geared towards construction programmes. In 1995, the name was changed for a final time, from Industrial Training Centre (ITC) to its current name, The Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute (BTVI).

The Bahamas Technical and Vocational Institute consists of two campuses- the main campus in Nassau and a satellite campus on the island of Grand Bahama. The Nassau campus is situated on Old Trail Road and presently has twenty-six workshops and laboratories and seventeen classrooms which has the capacity of serving a population of up to 1500 students in its full-time and part-time programmes. The Freeport campus located on Peach Tree Street, which houses seven workshops, three laboratories and one classroom, can accommodate up to 400 students.

BTVI delivers occupational training to a diverse student population representing young high school graduates, non-completers, mature students and persons with varied academic backgrounds, training requirements and interests.

BTVI is now a semi-autonomous body governed by a Board. The Institution plans to extend its program offerings while increasing the level of program offerings.

Address: 

Old Trail Road

P.O. Box N-4934

Nassau, Bahamas